The Sioux Falls Sports Authority offers an internship program focused on Sioux Falls Sports Authority owned or operated events. A background in sport administration, sport marketing, sport management, communications, or journalism and a passion for sports are preferred. The intern’s learning experience is acquired by working part-time during normal business hours at the Sports Authority’s office, and at events for which the internship is focused. Internships are not compensated.
- 2018 NCAA DII Men’s & Women's Elite 8 – January, 2018 through April, 2018 - Currently accepting applications. Position will remain open until filled.
- 2018 Summit League Basketball Championships - January, 2018 through April 2018 - Currently accepting applications. Position will remain open until filled.
- 2018 Sioux Falls Marathon – April, 2018 through June, 2018 - Currently accepting applications. Position will remain open until filled.
The Internship Experience
Interns will participate and gain valuable experience in several facets of the Sports Authority’s work. As an intern, you will be involved in event management, marketing and sales, communications, fundraising, graphic design, and web design. Interns are given major responsibilities crucial to the success of the organization’s events. They also participate in staff meetings, board meetings, and provide assistance to all full-time staff members as needed.
The growing popularity of sport management and marketing in academic programs and the field of sports as a career goal have resulted in greater competition for jobs in the workforce. An internship with the Sports Authority will give you experience and expertise allowing you to stand out in this specialized industry. You also will connect with many individuals in the Sioux Falls business and sports community through your day-to-day work at the Sports Authority.
- Enrolled in an academic program consistent with marketing and management in the sports and/or business industry.
- Good writing, communication and people skills.
- Prior sports related experience preferred and helpful.
- Computer skills using Microsoft Office software applications.
Basic Work Elements of an Internship:
- Work days are Monday through Friday with a 20 to 30-hour work week; generally ranging from 9 am till 5 pm. As event dates approach, interns may be asked to assist during evenings or weekends.
- The duration of an internship is generally structured to begin during the event organization phase and culminates with the event execution phase. These are unpaid positions.
- The dress code for interns is business casual – jeans, shorts or sweat clothes are not appropriate.
How to Apply
Please submit the following (via email is preferred):
- Letter of Interest (please indicate which internship opportunity you are applying for)
Executive Director, Bryan Miller
Address: 200 N. Phillips Ave, Suite 303, Sioux Falls, SD 57104